** Let me start by saying, I have been guilty of the very thing I am going to talk about. **
Why do we (myself included), as adults, feel the need to let the world into our lives. Specifically, our personal lives. We meet someone, we update our twitter, fb walls, whatever, telling the world how great our dates are, how this guy is different, and so on. We make it official, and immediately update our relationship status, sometimes even linking our significant other on our page. Things are going great, everyone in our circle, even lurkers, know that I'm in love.
Then, there's a hiccup in our relationship, we stop posting about the miraculous-ness of our significant other, we start posting more insightful things. Then, when it's over, really over, we change our relationship status back to single, or hide it, or anything we can think of to save face. After some time, when we think no one will notice, we start posting about the joys of being single. How we are a great catch, and anyone who let us go lost out on a good thing.
Now, I won't lie, when I'm feeling like being nosey, I'll go to a distant associates page, to see what is going on with them. And I will look through their wall, pictures, information, just to see what's going on in their lives. And it's crazy to me just how much I can find out without speaking to said person, or someone close to them.
We meet someone new, the cycle continues. Now, I can't say that I've done EVERYTHING mentioned above, but I've seen it done by so many people, it perplexes me. And having done that foolishness once, I have not done it again. I won't say that I will NEVER change my relationship status, hopefully one day it will ready MARRIED. Until then, it's not necessary to change it, in my opinion. If you aren't close enough to me to know that I'm in a relationship without looking at my fb relationship status, then guess what, it's none of your business.
Now let me say this, I don't see anything wrong with updating your relationship status to being in a relationship, if you truly believe that relationship is going to last. But if you are updating your relationship status once a quarter, maybe you should give the relationship some private time, before putting it out there for the public to engage in.
Ah-well, to each his own I suppose...
2 comments:
So true... I have been single for forever and a day so I can't say that this pertains to me... But I like the idea of giving it some private time...
:)
Yeah, not saying there's anything wrong with updating your relationship status, mainly focusing on all the wall posts people put up putting their business out there...
Post a Comment