Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Li.on King

Poetry got a dog this weekend.  When he first started telling me he was going to get a dog, I didn't understand why he kept asking me how I felt about it.  Wanting to know if it was going to adversely effect our relationship.  And me, with my smart mouth, kept telling him, that's going to be 'your' dog.  Why would it effect our relationship.

Well, since he's here, I COMPLETELY understand why.  Training a dog is worse than having a new born, in my opinion.  If he's not in his cage, you have to have your eyes on him at all times.  If you leave him at home alone too long, he will poop in his cage, and he has to clean that crap up.  He needs to be taken out regularly, or he will pee on your carpet.  He has to know what he can and can't do, and has to be reminded, EVERY few minutes.  No sleeping through the night, nothing.

I have admit, I've made a connection with the little guy, who Poetry calls Simba, but he isn't 100% sure that's what he wants his name to be.  I told him I would help him out, but I find myself not wanted the little guy to be in his cage the entire time Poetry is at work.  I work during the day, he works at night, so I went over there last night after my workout, I woke up at 3 am to let him out.  Good thing too, he went almost immediately.  Then he thought it was time to play, sorry buddy, it's time for bed. 

I have respect for anyone who has trained a dog on their own.  Especially a well behaved dog.  After seeing all that it takes, I'm not sure if I'll ever get a dog on my own.  One thing I have to say is, now that I realize 'why' Poetry kept asking me how I felt about it, it makes me appreciate him even more.  He could have the attitude that he wants a dog, and I can deal with it or keep moving, but he is super concerned about how the situation is going to change the dynamics of our relationship.  He's made it clear that he will give that dog up if need be, that makes me want to help him more :-). 

No comments: