So, I have a friend that I've been friends with since my sophomore year in college. About 3 years ago, she told me that she was a les.bian. I had no idea, all through college, she dated a guy. The guy and her broke up about 4 years ago, she seemed upset about it to me. Well, shortly after that is when she told me that she was going to start dating women. Fine, I don't agree with it, but I don't judge people, we are still friends.
Fast forward to this past weekend, she came to visit. We hadn't really hung out since she started her new lifestyle. We've continued to talk with one another, but again, we hadn't really seen one another or hung out. I have to admit, in the back of my mind, I was wondering if it would be weird hanging out with her again, but when she got here, everything was cool. We went out to eat, talked, watched some movies, visited my family, all the typical things we've always done as friends. Then, we went out, and that's when things go weird, for me. We got there, (my best friend was with us also), she asks us if we want something to drink. Not in the 'girl I'm getting something to drink do you want something' way, but like when I go out with my boyfriend, and he asks me if I want a drink, whether or not he's drinking. I was sure that she was going to get something too, so I accepted the offer, thinking, next time, I'll buy. But that wasn't going to work, because she didn't get anything to drink. Well, I drink my wine, and she asks if I want anything else? I kind of wanted another drink, but I didn't want her to buy it for me, and then I didn't want to buy my own drink for fear of hurting her feelings or something. Then, the dancing. Now, when I dance with my friends, we are typically facing one another, and not dancing very close. But when I dance with my dude, it's a little more intimate. Well, she was kind of dancing on us (La and I) at the table a little more closely than I was comfortable with.
Well, she asked me if she could come and visit again sometime next month. I told her yes, and I'm absolutely fine with it, with one condition. She has to treat me as though we are friends when we go out. Just like she does when we are at my house, or at a restaurant, or a grocery store. I have no problem with her lifestyle choice, but don't bring me into that. When we go out, I am going out with my friend, who is also a girl, don't treat me like I'm a woman and you are a man. I'm not quite sure how I'm going to address it, but address it I must...
No comments:
Post a Comment