Monday, December 13, 2010

Change #1

So, I feel the need to break my goals for the new year into their own posts. So, here is change number 1!

I have a love/hate relationship with my hair, most of the time, I love it, sometimes, I hate it. I think the hate is because I resist caring for it. Let me explain. When I first went natural, I cut about 8 inches of perm off, so it was short. I went about 6 months without a perm before cutting the permed ends off. So, I didn't have to do much to care for my hair. I wet it, everyday, put product in it, and was on my merry way. I didn't twist, oil, deep condition, nothing. The true definition of wash 'n' go.

Well, now that my hair is longer, probably as long as it was permed (if not longer), I have realized that I need some type of regimen. The hap-hazard care isn't cutting it anymore. I tried to blame it on the products I was using, the tools, anything but myself. So, my new regimen will be as follows (at least for the winter):

1. Deep Condition once a week - I will use Cholesterol. I will either leave it in my hair with a shower cap all day (or night), or I will sit under the dryer for 15 - 20 minutes.

2. I will give myself hot oil treatments twice a month.

3. Protein treatments once a month. I will experiment with different ones until I find the one I like the most.

4. Oil my scalp and massage for at least 5 minutes once a week (the day prior to washing).

This is what I have so far. I will tweak this regimen as I see fit. I am also experimenting with styles so that I only wet my hair once a week, this is proving to be a tad challenging, but I won't give up!!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I need to do something with this natural. I hate it right about now!

D said...

I'm learning that it definitely takes work, but we can do it!!!

Unknown said...

Girl... I need to do something. I'm at a point where I don't want to straighten it but I need a different style. What kind of hot oil treatment do you use? What kind of protein treatment have you used?

D said...

Last week, I picked up a Jojoba Oil Treatment from Sally's, I really liked it, I will definitely buy it again. I used Aphogee for my first protein treatment, and it works well, but it makes your hair hard and it stinks, so I don't really care for it. If I can't find one that works as well, I'll deal with it, but I'm still going to try some other ones.

D said...

The Aphogee makes your hair hard when it dries (you have to sit under the dryer with it), but you wash it out, and it leaves your hair feeling much better!